Thursday, October 29, 2009

INSYS 497 Blog Reflection #1

"In the future, how we educate our children may prove to be more important than how much we educate them" (Binder, cited in Friedman, 2005, p. 302).

I read this quote in the first chapter of our book, Web 2.0 New Tools, New Schools by Solomon and Schrum and it really hit a nerve, especially entering into this class. I feel that everyday in my classroom we have more and more subject matter that we are responsible for teaching. I feel as if the "how" has been put the side and replaced by the "how much". These new (or old depending how you look at it) Web 2.0 tools are the perfect way to bring the focus back to the "how". By communicating and collaborating with peers and others outside of the classroom, students can learn those important problem solving and higher order thinking skills. I am excited to continue my education in these Web 2.0 tools. Each time I take a class and and learn about new tools, they become more of a part of both my professional and personal life. Although I am not able to use many of these tools the their full extent in some aspects of my life, I am looking forward to continually using and integrating them into my daily routine.

0 comments: