Monday, November 9, 2009

Blog #1-Creating my own Social Network

Social networking has already become a part of my personal life in some respect. I went to school at the start of the Facebook phenomenon, and have to admit that I use it quite regularly to communicate with both friends and relatives. Since taking my last class, I have used my Google Reader to aggregate many of my personal sites-my guilty celebrity gossip sites, as well as the more reputable news sources.

For some reason, however, I have not made the complete leap to create a social network in my professional life. In previous courses I have aggregated wonderful bloggers and other sites that are quite applicable to my work. Despite the fact that I do not read them quite as often as I would like, I do find myself checking every so often to see what is new in the world of Web 2.0.

As you can probably see from the other posts on this blog, I have used this blog before for a course. I haven't just read other's social networks, but have made an attempt to participate in the conversation. As you can also probably tell, I didn't really use this blog outside of those courses. I do see and understand the wonderful reasons to blog in the classroom-both with students and as a tool for parent and community communication. I sat down and started thinking about why I haven't done more to extend my blog. After reading Vicki Davis's blog post on the 8 reasons why teachers don't blog, I saw a lot of myself.

I can see some of her 2nd reason, humility, in myself. I find myself asking "Who is actually going to read or care about my blog?"" Her third reason, paranoia, also hits home. If I were to use a blog, I would be very scared to post any honest opinions for fear of retribution. However, I think that the biggest reason that I don't blog is the same as #5-Feeling Overwhelmed. Just reading other blogs takes forever. How am I ever going keep up a blog? As I continue down the road of Web 2.0, I hope that I am able to overcome these misgivings and jump in!

5 comments:

megfritzphd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
megfritzphd said...

Stephanie,
You have to get past the fact that other people are going to read it and think of it as a tool for reflection. Reflection is a powerful way to learn and develop yourself professionally. It's also a way to share what you're doing in your classroom; a good way to initiate change in how technology is used in your school/district!

Tara Parr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara Parr said...

HI Stephanie,
I understand you comments! I too wonder who is going to read this? Who will care? However, that is not my biggest concern. My biggest concern is the rights i have a teacher- or lack of rights- to post exactly how I feel and what I think.
PSEA is very against what I will call "free blogging". They suggest many restrictions and considerations which may take the authentic feel out of my posts.
Let me say, I am not a tow-the-line kind of person. I disagree with much of the talk that teachers need to be ultra-censored in their private lives. HOWEVER< what causes me hesitation is recent court cases and outcomes. There have been several cases where teachers' freedom of speech was challenged. For example, a post on Facebook from a teacher complaining about her class. Basic everyday run-of-the-mill venting. The teacher is reprimanded and asked to remove the post. To me, that is CRAZY.

Tara Parr said...

Here is the link to PSEA's position on teachers & blogging:
http://www.psea.org/general.aspx?ID=1302&MID=486